Occupational Health

The Occupational Health Program (OHP) is a part of the People Services Division of Appalachian Regional Healthcare System (ARHS). The OHP provides services that promote and enhance a safe and healthful working environment for all employees and volunteers throughout the system. The department is designed to address the healthcare needs of employees, volunteers and contract personnel in terms of illness and injury prevention and treatment while on the job by providing the best quality of services in the most cost effective manner.

I've been injured on the job... What do I do?


You must report work related injuries and illnesses in writing as soon as feasibly possible. It is expected that you report the accident/injury immediately to your supervisor.


You are responsible for completing the Employee Injury/Exposure Report Form. You need to fill out this form immediately or no later than 24 hours of the incident and send to Occupational Health.


If treatment beyond first aid is required for the injury/illness, go to AppUrgent Care or to the Emergency Department if it is after hours. Any additional treatment must be approved by Worker’s Compensation. Do not seek care from your private physician.


If you are given prescriptions, you will receive a pharmacy authorization so you won’t have to pay for your medications out of pocket.

Drug Screen

If you require medical treatment, beyond first aid, you must have a urine drug screen completed at the time of the treatment.

Temporary Duty Assignments

If you have physician ordered restrictions, every effort will be made to accommodate the restriction in your department. This may require that you perform duties that you are qualified to perform but are not part of your regular duties. If your restrictions can not be accommodated in your department, you may be temporarily assigned to another department. You may also be required to work different hours than your regularly scheduled shifts in order to meet the needs of the department while your restrictions are being accommodated. Failure to accept reasonable temporary duty assignments may lead to termination of Worker’s Compensation payments.

Pay for Lost Time

If you are required to miss time from work by physician order, certain pay processes are in place.

  • If you miss seven days or less, you are required to use PDO or take leave without pay.
  • If you miss more than seven days, but less than twenty-one days, then the days that exceed seven days will be covered according to Workers’ Compensation pay rates.
  • If you miss more than twenty-one days, then the first seven-day waiting period is waived and Workers’ Compensation will cover leave payments from the first day of disability, or the employee is reimbursed at the end of the twenty-one days.

For additional information please refer to the Human Resource Policy, HR-890, Workers Compensation Program (found in Policy Manager)


I've had a needlestick or been exposed to blood/body fluid... What do I do?

You need to:

In Watauga/Ashe County: AppUrgent Care Center

Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

If AppUrgent Care is closed, report to the WMC Emergency Department.

In Avery County: Cannon Memorial Hospital Emergency Department

For additional information please refer to the Infection Control Policy, IC-G-4A, BBP – Exposure Determination and Post Exposure Follow-up (found in Policy Manager).


Crystal Minton

Right to Know Act

You have a right to know about hazardous materials in the workplace. View the documents below for more information.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email